It’s Wellness Wednesday again. You know, there really is “nothing new under the sun.” The problem is we are always looking for that magic trick to make us “feel better, less frazzled, lose weight or be in shape.” Well the truth is there is no “magic trick” to make us be healthy. There is only good choices. I have an opinion on what I believe could be the best choice. It is just my opinion. I have no survey or statistics to prove my point. It is this: SLOW DOWN. You do NOT have to:
1. Drive all the neighborhood kids to school every day and provide a traveling breakfast.
2. Be the first one to finish your current work project
3. Have all the laundry done every day
4. Have all the dishes done before going to bed every day
5. Clean the bathroom every night before bed (I about died when one of my friends told me she did this)
6. Exercise each and every day, no matter what
7. Less than 3 fix-it projects on the list at all times
8. Volunteer for school, community and church projects every time they present themselves
9. Be involved in every sporting, drama, debate or speech event in the school
10. Take lessons for everything
Do you get the idea? I am saying you CAN make choices? What do you really like to do? How clean does your house have to be for you and your family to be comfortable? Ask these questions for or with your children if you have them? Help your family realize that they do not have to do everything their friends do and they can still be friends. Everyone needs some “down time” on a regular basis. Personally I like to read or watch a TV show that is just for fun, not to “teach” me anything. For some people this is time to exercise. That’s great if it is something you enjoy not just a “duty.”
You do not have to nor can you be “all things to all people.” (period) It is not possible. So choose your priorities. While I cannot and should not choose for you I’d like to strongly suggest that the best thing you can do for yourself and for your family is to take care of yourself body, mind and spirit. Then you will be ready, willing and able to fully live helping those you love and enjoying life.
Share one thing that you are willing to try to “relax” a bit on. If you need help read the list given above for starters.